Dr. Robert R. Carter, M.D., F.A.C.S., R.P.V.I. – Board Certified Vascular Surgery provider in Lee’s Summit, Missouri.
Robert R. Carter, M.D. is a vascular surgeon and Fellow of the American College of Surgeons who trained at the University of Missouri for general surgery and the University of Kentucky for vascular surgery. He is board certified in both general and vascular surgery. His extensive training provides him with the skill set needed to treat even the most advanced vascular problems. He specializes in both open and endovascular techniques. He has additional training in wound care and varicose veins.
Dr. Carter has numerous post-doctoral academic awards and recognition as well as recent publications in distinguished journals such as Vascular and Endovascular Surgery and The European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery. He has also co-authored a chapter in the upcoming 5th edition of the book Current Therapy in Vascular Surgery. Dr. Carter enjoys working with the residents at the University of Missouri, Kansas City and passing on his medical knowledge to future generations of surgeons. He is a member of the Society for Vascular Surgery and an associate fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Carter is married and has two children. He enjoys spending time with his family when not on duty and experiencing all the activities that the Kansas City area has to offer. He is on staff at Centerpoint Medical Center, St. Mary’s Medical Center, Lee’s Summit Medical Center, North Kansas City Hospital and Truman Medical Center. Member of the Society for Vascular Surgery
- General Surgery - Board Certified
- Vascular Surgery - Board Certified
- Fellowship: University Of Kentucky Hospital. 2011
- Medical School: University Of California, Davis, 2004
- Residency: University Of Missouri, Kansas City, 2009
- Deans Honor List - all quarters
- Sigma Mu Delta Education Award - 1998
- Murals Research Grant - 1998
- Golden Key Honor Society Member - 1998 - present
- Phi Sigma Honor Society - 1998 - present
- UC Davis Community Service Award - 1998
- Undergraduate Research Presenter - UC Davis Annual URP Conference - 1999
- Outstanding Senior Award - 2000
- Neurobiology, physiology and Behavior Major Award - 2000
- Anatomy Program Liaison for the Class of 2004 - 2001 - 2004
- Educational Grant for Academic excellence - 2002
Post Doctoral (Surgical Residency and Vascular Fellowship)
- Resident of the Year - UKMC 2006
- Resident of the Year - UKMC 2007
- Resident of the Year - UKMC 2008
- Resident of the Year - UKMC 2009
- Larry V. Hays Outstanding Resident Award - 2009
- University of Kentucky Surgery Resident Training Award - 2010
- UMKC Surgical Faculty of the Year - 2014
Publications & Presentations
- Video Assisted Thoracoscopy, A Primary Treatment for Parapneumonic Effusions? A randomized clinical trial. Carter RR and Van Way CW III. Saint Luke’s Hospital research day May 2007.
- Video Assisted Thoracoscopy, A Primary Treatment for Parapneumonic Effusions? A randomized clinical trial. Carter RR and Van Way CW III. Missouri American College of Surgeons Conference at the Lake of the Ozarks 2007.
- The Anterior Approach for Large Right Liver Tumors. Carter RR, Blondeau B and Reese J. Missouri American College of Surgeons Conference at the Lake of the Ozarks 2007.
- Bowel Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor; An Unusual Cause of Massive Lower Gastrointestinal Bleeding. Carter RR, Mundluru S, Margolin DJ. Presented as a poster, Feb 2009 at Southeastern surgical congress.
- Timing and risk factors for venous thromboembolism after colorectal cancer resection.
Carter RR, Davenport DL, Minion DJ, O’keeffe SD, Sorial EE, Endean ED, Xenos ES. Kentucky American College of Surgeons Meeting, Louisville KY, September 22, 2010. Combined open and endovascular treatment of median arcuate ligament syndrome. Carter RR and Sorial EE. International college of angiography, 52nd annual world congress, Lexington KY, October 17, 2010.
- Aorto Esophageal Fistula after Thoracic Endograft. Robert R. Carter MD, David J.
Minion MD, Eric D. Endean MD, Eleftherios Xenos MD, Ehab E. Sorial MD, Shane D. O’Keeffe MD. Society for Clinical Vascular Surgery, Orlando FL, March 19, 2011. Current status of Lower Extremity Revascularization. Robert R Carter. Invited presenter at the 2014 MPMA Annual Scientific Meeting, Kansas City MO, August 22, 2014.
- Carter RR, Coughenour JP, Van Way CW III, and Goldstrich J: Acute Esophageal
Necrosis with Pneumomediastinum: A Case Report. Mo Med. 2007 MayJune; 104 (3): 2768.
- Carter RR, Woodall CE, McNally ME, Talboy GE, and Van Way CW III: Mixed Ductal Endocrine
Carcinoma of the Pancreas with Synchronous Papillary Carcinoma In Situ
of the Common Bile Duct; A Case Report and Literature Review. Am Surg. 2008 Apr; 74(4):33840.
- Carter RR, Mundluru S, and Margolin DJ: Bowel Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor; An
Unusual Cause of Massive Lower Gastrointestinal Bleeding. Am Surg. 2010 Feb; 76(2):229231.
- Carter RR, Orr NT, Minion DJ, Xenos ES. Aortic injury from posterior rib fracture. Eur J Cardiothoracic Surg. 2011 Jan; 39(1):138.
- Carter R, O’keeffe S, Minion D, Sorial E, Endean E, and Xenos E: Spontaneous
superior mesenteric artery dissection, report of two patients and review of management
recommendations. Vascular and Endovascular Surgery. 2011 April; 45(3):2958. Epub
2011 Jan 28. PMID 21278174
- Friedell ML, Stark KR, Kujath SW, Carter RR. Current Status of Lower Extremity
Revascularization. Current Problems in Surgery. 2014 June; 51(6):254290.
- Blunt Arterial Injuries of the shoulder; Open and Endovascular Therapy. Carter RR, Endean ED. In Current Therapy in Vascular and Endovascular Therapy, 5th Edition, James C Stanley, Frank J Veith, Thomas W Wakefield, eds. Elsevier, Philadelphia. May 12 2014. ISBN13: 9781455709847
Dr. Robert Carter
Cameron Regional Medical Center
- Deep Vein Thrombosis
- Diabetes Complications
- Aortic Aneurysm
- Varicose Veins
- Vascular Malformation
- Blood transfusion
- Cardiovascular Transcatheter Procedures
- Varicose Vein Procedures
- Lower Leg Amputation
- Peripheral Vascular Bypass
- Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Repair
- Thromboendarterectomy of the Peripheral Arteries