Kerri Thurmon Barnes, MD, MPH, is an assistant professor of urology and medical education coordinator. She obtained her bachelor’s degree in biochemistry, graduating summa cum laude at the University of Missouri in Columbia. She then went to medical school at the University of Missouri School of Medicine and dually completed her urology residency and Master of Public Health while at the University of Iowa in Iowa City.
Her clinical practice focuses on general urology, kidney stones, benign prostate diseases, laser prostate surgery, erectile dysfunction, male and female incontinence, interstitial cystitis and hematuria.
- MO State Medical License - 2015 - 2019
- KS State Medical License - 2015 - 2018
- American Board of Urology
- 2001-2005 - Bachelor of Science Biochemistry, Summa Cum Laude, Honors Scholar - University of Missouri, Columbia, MO
- 2005-2009 - Doctor of Medicine - University of Missouri School of Medicine, Columbia, MO
- 2011-2012 Master’s in Public Health - University of Iowa College of Public Health, Iowa City, IA
Postgraduate Medical Education
- 2009-2010 - General Surgery Internship - University of Iowa
- 2010-2015 - Urology Residency - University of Iowa Department of Urology, Iowa City, IA
- 2001-2005 - University of Missouri Excellence Scholarship
- 2003-2004 - Flo Dickey Funk Fellowship in Ophthalmology
- 2004-2005 - Life Sciences Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (LSUROP) Internship
- 2007 - MU-Area Health Education Centers (AHEC) Rural Medicine Scholars Program
- 2008 - Little John Memorial Scholarship Recipient
- 2009 - Excellence in Research for Surgical Oncology
- 2012 - InterVol Stonisch Stipend Award
- 2013 - AUA Annual Meeting “Best Poster” Winner
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications
- Thurmon K, Breyer B, Erickson B. Association of Bowel Habits with Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Men: Findings from the 2005-2006 and 2007-2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. J Urol 2013; 189(4):1409-1014.
- Barnes KT, Smith B, Lynch C, Gupta A. Obesity and Invasive Penile Cancer. Eur Urol 2013; 63(3):588-589.
- Sharp VJ, Barnes KT, Erickson BA. Assessment of Asymptomatic Microscopic Hematuria in Adults. Am Fam Physician 2013; 88(11):747-754.
- Barnes KT, Bing MT, Tracy CR. Do Ureteral Stent Extraction Strings Affect Quality of Life or Postoperative Complications Following Ureteroscopy for Urolithiasis: A Prospective Randomized Control Trial. BJU International. [Epub ahead of print]. doi: 10.1111/bju.12541.
- Barnes KT, Wald G, Bing MT, Kresowik T, Tomanek A, Kucaba T, Griffith T, Brown J, Norian L. Minimal Changes in the Systemic Immune Response After Nephrectomy of Localized Renal Masses. Urologic Oncology. [Manuscript in Review].
- Thurmon K, Newton M, Tracy C. Cystinuria: Genetics, Diagnosis and Management . AUA Update Series 2012 Volume 31 Lesson 34.
Abstracts and Presentations
- Barnes KT, McDowell B, Button A, Smith B, Lynch C, Gupta A. Obesity increases the risk of invasive penile cancer. Abstract and Poster Presentation at SUO 2013.
- Barnes KT, Bing M, Tracy C. Do ureteral stent extraction strings affect quality of life or postoperative complications? A prospective randomized trial in patients undergoing ureteroscopy for nephrolithiasis. Abstract and Poster Presentation at AUA 2013.
- Barnes KT, Bing M, Kresowik TP, Brown JA, Norian LA. Effect of Nephrectomy on Immunosuppressive Cell Populations in Patients with Renal Masses. Abstract and Poster Presentation at AUA 2013.
- Barnes KT, Kresowik TP, Brown JA, Norian LA. Effect of Nephrectomy on Immunosuppressive Cell Populations in Patients with Renal Masses. Abstract and Podium Presentation at NCS 2012.
- Barnes KT, Breyer BN, Erickson BA. Association of Bowel Habits with Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms in Adult Men: Findings from the 2005-2006 and 2007-2008 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES). Abstract and Podium Presentation at NCS 2012.
- Thurmon K, Kaboli P. “Improving Access to Specialty Care for Rural Veterans Using Telemedicine.” Poster Presentation May 2012.
- Harrington S, Thurmon K, Marquart J, Dale P. Mammographic Arterial Calcifications and 10-Year Risk for Coronary Artery Disease. Abstract and Poster Presentation at American Society of Breast Surgeons 2010.
- Thurmon K, Reneker L. “The Effects of Oncogenic Ras on the Ocular Lenses of Transgenic Mice.” Poster presented at Life Sciences Undergraduate Research Opportunities poster symposium in Columbia, Missouri. April 2004.
- Thurmon K, Reneker L. “The Molecular Mechanisms Involved in Angiogenesis of the Oncogenic Ras Ocular Lens.” Poster presented at Life Sciences Undergraduate Research Opportunities poster symposium in Columbia, Missouri. July 2004.
Dr. Kerri Barnes
Cameron Regional Medical Center
- Kidney Stones
- Benign Prostate Diseases
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Male and Female Incontinence
- Interstitial Cystitis
- General Urology
- Laser Prostate Surgery